Learning should never stop with the receipt of a diploma or a degree. It should be a lifelong process. This is especially so for leaders who take charge in their industries. Individuals who aspire to be a leader, advocate, or working professional should take as many steps as they can to be a lifelong learner.
Why is this so important?
Because, the world is consistently changing and growing. Technology is rapidly shifting, and all of these complex changes affect how various industries operate, and how this can change the career landscape. To truly stand out and prepare for growth in an industry, individuals should continually educate themselves. This can provide the competitive edge to take your leadership position, company, or industry to new levels.
Here are 5 steps to lifelong learning!
1. If growth in your field requires a higher level degree or certification, go for it! Gaining an education is more accessible than ever as colleges and universities add programs that cater to the busy schedules of professionals. Utilize this opportunity to gain the skills and knowledge you need to be competitive for growth.
2. As a leader, one of the best ways to learn is to listen to those you lead. Ask for your employees opinion, and actually listen to what they have to say. People will follow those they respect, and they will respect you more if you treat them with respect. This means valuing them.
3. Subscribe to periodicals, magazines, or other services in your industry. This is where you will find hot topics, studies, or cutting edge information that could give you the insight you need.
4. Regularly evaluate your skills, strengths, and weaknesses. If you know where your weaknesses are, you can fix them. For example, if you are looking for a job or for a vertical or lateral move, and you know you have a deficit in specific software, learn how to use it. There are textbooks, websites, and YouTube videos that can teach you everything you need to know.
5. Set aside 30-60 minutes each day to read about your industry. It is amazing the amount of information that can be ascertained from this minimal amount of reading each day. It can keep you well-informed and ready to handle complications, grow as a leader and professional, and make necessary changes to keep up with technological advances. It can set you apart from those who are left behind. Knowledge is power.
Take these steps to be a lifelong learner and an incredible leader!